LE NEZ DU VIN
Aroma Kit history
Founded in France in 1977 by Jean Lenoir, the aroma kits have evolved over the years until today and are now regarded as the ‘go-to’ training aids for sommeliers throughout the world. Starting with the basic array of aromas in the 70s and 80s, today the range is extensive and complete with a range of aromas that can be found not only in French winemaking but winemaking around the world. The range has since expanded to include not only desired aromas from fruit in wines, but also oak aromas, wine faults and even expanded into aroma kits beyond wine such as Le Nez du Whisky, Le Nez du Cafe and Le Nez d'Armagnac.
Le Nez du Vin features
Today, all Le Nez du Vin aroma kits contain small vials of aromas that can last, if well kept, for up to five years. The aroma kits also contain handy booklets explaining what it is about the processes, materials or compounds in the aromas that makes them smell as they do. As time has passed and we learn more about the science of wine the kits have adapted over the years to contain the latest scientific thinking in their explanatory booklets.
Which Le Nez du Vin aroma kit is right for me?
Most of our sales of Le Nez du Vin aroma kits are either purchased by the budding Sommelier themselves or purchased as a gift for a wine lover for birthdays or Christmas and the right aroma kit may well depend on the stage of the wine education journey the recipient is on or whether they are interested in certain wines only.
- The White and Champagne kit - is a starter kit of 12 aromas frequently found in white wines and Champagne, if you have a Champagne lover in your life or you're only interested in learning about these types of wines then this kit is a good choice.
- The Red wine aroma kit is ideal as a wine gift for someone who is exclusively interested in red wine.
- Duo - 24 Aromas - is a combination of the two aroma kits above and is a complete set for the well rounded wine lover or those starting out in wine education who don't yet need to be able to identify oak characteristics or wine faults, those doing level 1 or 2 of the WSET programme for example.
- 54 Aromas - The Master kit - This is our most popular selling aroma kit and contains 54 aromas frequently found in red and white winemaking however, it does not contain the extra aromas you can find in the Oak or Wine Faults kits, essential for a working sommelier.
- The Ultimate Somm Kit contains all of the 54 aromas of the MasterKit plus all the aromas of Oak and all the aromas of Wine Faults. If you're looking for the ultimate gift for a wine lover or training your own palate, we highly recommend the Ultimate Somm Kit as the best full set of aromas training device on the market.
Who would benefit from a Le Nez du Vin aroma kit?
The Le Nez du Vin aroma kits are bought by many different types of people who all share an interest in wine. They are frequently bought by wine schools and tasting groups as a long term aid to training the palate. The smaller aroma kits are often bought as Christmas or birthday gifts for wine lovers from their family and friends. The Master kit and Ultimate Somm kits are bought for those in the later stages of wine education from WSET level 3 and up. The Le Nez du Vin aroma kits are also bought by those who are simply curious about wine and want to be able to detect the aromas that the professionals talk about, this often starts a lifelong journey into the fascinating world of wine.